Slow Food Russian River operates a Community Apple Press through October. Want to bring your class?
It’s at the Luther Burbank Gold Ridge Experiment Farm in Sebastopol during apple season – from August through October. Use of the press is a free community service.
You can use apples from your back yard or work with us to acquire local apples from an apple farmer. It takes about an hour to press 100 pounds so it’s a good morning field trip.
Fieldtrips bring lots of benefits to your students. Here we list four, but we welcome mentioning other benefits in the comments.
- Students are energized by the excitement and anticipation of leaving the school environment.
- The transportation to and from the museum/site is often a pleasant open-social time.
- Students have the opportunity to see new things and learn about them in a more unstructured way.
- Students have the opportunity to determine what they learn and how they learn it. Said differently, student learning can be interest-driven, not teacher and curriculum driven.
- Students will experience a more holistic, integrated picture of the information that, in the classroom, may have only been presented in a textual and abstract way. (From: The Benefits Of Learning Through Field Trips)
Call Paula Downing at 707-829-3494 to work out arrangements.